Tuesday 15 April 2014

Have you got a real job yet?

My previous post mentioned how excited and productive I've been since leaving my office job.

However, I almost forgot about the other side that came with working freelance - the question that makes my heart sink every time 'have you got a real job yet?'. It crops up far more often than I care to answer.

What do you mean a 'real job'? It's hard to explain to people that you are making more money that you ever have before, without leaving your house.

The internet is a miraculous thing, it means that I'm networking and opening up new work opportunities daily, from one seat. I can blog from anywhere, I can sell writing to magazines all over the world and I can do it all in my pyjamas if I want.

Unless it's Skype time, of course, then I dress smart from the waist-up ;).

Even if the work flow might not be as reliable, I am my own boss. I am smart with my money. I decide what I do and when I do it. I set a rate that I actually deserve. I don't stress myself out and I definitely don't shout at myself in front of a room full of colleagues when I'm on a power trip. Above all; I am very happy and the healthiest I've been in a long time.

I think a lot of that happiness is down to some of the feedback I've received from clients, since being able to choose who I work with. Never before have I worked with such fun and inspiring people. They're young, they're ambitious and they listen to me.

I've received messages saying my writing made a stranger laugh out loud on the tube. I've received messages from clients saying 'I want to shout from the mountain tops how good you are at your job.'

So, I'm sorry I haven't found a boring 9 to 5 office job with a reliable income, if that's what you think a 'real job' is. It would take a seriously fantastic company, location, director and salary to talk me into that.

I love what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment